The UK Sports Cars Showroom
1959 VW Split Screen Camper Van – Genuine Pre 1960 Factory Right Hand Drive – Full Photographic Bare Metal Restoration. Highest Spec Bus on the market!
A very special VW Split Screen bus, which has been fully restored here at UK Sports Cars. This is a genuine German built bus that left the factory on the 14th September 1959. The bus was supplied new to Australia hence being in factory RHD format making this bus particularly desirable having spent the vast majority of its life in a hot climate. The bus had spent the majority of its life in the Australian outback in a hot climate, which meant that the 60-year-old shell provided the perfect basis for restoration.
A very desirable pre 1962 (small rear window) model that is what many consider to be the purest form of the split screen bus, complete with rare original Semaphore indicators in perfect working condition!
The scale of this restoration has been absolutely enormous and no stone has been left unturned. The bus has been placed on a rotisserie unit and the entire shell has been blasted back to bare metal to reveal absolutely every spec of potential rust on the vehicle. As expected, the shell was in very good order and only a few panels required replacing. The bus was then primed and painted in early and desirable VW colours, Sea Blue / Cumulus White. The paintwork on the bus has been prepared to a glass like finish throughout and is in superb order from every angle.
Finished with all of the expensive bells and whistles including a polished deluxe belt line trim kit with red insert, front elevating Safari windows, Polished stainless Creative Engineering 3-bow roof rack and side ladder, 356 OG style 15’’ chrome wheels and matching chrome hub caps. These exterior items alone total in excess of £3,000
Please note that this bus comes with the valuable and difficult to obtain ‘Birth Certificate’ from the VW Stiftung Automuseum in Germany confirming the buses provenance, matching VIN number and spec / delivery details from new for your complete reassurance.
Mechanics & Electrics
· Fully reconditioned 1600TP engine running on all new ancillaries.
· Steering components overhauled and electric power steering installed. I cannot rate this product highly enough. A powerful electric motor mounted to the steering column with adjustable sensitivity so that you can steer the bus with ease or retain the original feel at the tip of your fingers!
· Brand new 12V wiring loom and fuse box installed.
· Suspension & brakes overhauled and dropped spindles at front.
The interior for this bus was bespoke built by ourselves at UK Sports Cars to the highest specification that we have ever built on a Split Screen camper.
· Headliner professionally installed to the highest possible standard in house in original grey wool cloth material finished neatly down to the waistline where the door cards meet leaving no metal work bare.
· 10 Piece Door Card set upholstered in Royal Blue Vinyl with Custom fluted Mystic White inserts and piping.
· Full width early style original front bench seat upholstered in matching vinyl.
· Rear custom cushion set upholstered to match.
· Bespoke cabinet and L shaped layout interior built using Walnut veneer throughout. Seating arrangement in the rear for 3-6.
· Main cabinet to feature several cupboards including red velvet lined champagne flute holders.
· Plenty of storage space below seat cushions.
· Hidden / Flush Mounted Television operational on a powerful up and down electric motor to sit up above the bulkhead or hidden out of site when not in use. This is without a doubt one of the buses coolest features with a small fob that allows you to lift and drop the TV from the bespoke unit with the press of a button.
· 240V Mains Hook-up, Consumer Unit & all required hook-up cables included.
· Leisure Battery & Split Charge Relay Kit so both batteries charge whilst vehicle is driven.
· Custom mood lighting arrangement underneath seats with a wide variety of different colours and also sound activated lighting.
· 6 X Wireless headsets custom housed into cabinet at the rear so that passengers or children can watch the TV in the evening without noise.
· Cabinet at rear to house champagne ice bucket holder and retro Coca-Cola cool box.
· Custom window tinting on all side windows and rear window.
Please know that the amount of time and money required to build a bus to this standard far exceeds the cost in terms of resale value. This means that there is an opportunity here to buy the bus of your dreams for a fraction of the cost of building / restoring one yourself from scratch.
This bus is absolutely stunning in every department and is ready to be driven away with the turn of a key. There is currently not a full width bed in the rear however this can be easily converted to a bed format by us within the asking price should you prefer this layout option.