The UK Sports Cars Showroom
1963 VW Split Screen Camper Van. Factory German Built. Right Hand Drive. Original & Rare Dormobile Roof & Interior.
Having completely sold out of buses throughout Summer 2021 we are finally pleased to be able to offer this very special bus to the market. What we know to be the ultimate and most sought after specification for a Split Screen bus. This model features the full width side elevating Dormobile roof complete with 2x original Dormobile ‘bunk bed’ hammocks ideal for children / small adults to sleep in effectively making the vehicle a 4 berth camper van. There is also always the option to add an awning to increase habitation space when camping.
This bus is one of the very best we have ever been able to offer for sale and has undergone an extensive restoration where the vehicle has been professionally stripped back to a bare metal shell before undergoing meticulously preparation to ensure a rust free bodyshell prior to paint. The bus has then been fully repainted in year correct VW colours ‘Sealing Wax Red / Beige Grey’. One of the all time favourite 1960s split screen colour schemes.
The bus has had an extensive mechanical refurb finished to what is considered to be the ultimate mechanical specification with many upgrades far more suited to modern day motoring. The includes
- Uprated SPAX front shock absorbers
- Standard front beam with adjusters for adjustable ride height
- Raised Steering box (for better ground clearance)
- CSP front disc brake conversion (Far superior braking performance)
- Dual Circuit Master Cylinder & uprated braking system)
- New 12V wiring loom
- 1600 IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) gearbox.
- 1968/1969 Later Bay Window (Independent Rear Suspension) for far superior suspension with independent movement on each corner
- Creative Engineering Frame Horns and Rear shock mounts
- Spax rear shock absorbers
- Quick Shift Gear Linkage shift stick
- 1776cc (Uprated) Fully Reconditioned engine with very low mileage running twin carbs.
Replacement Dormobile roof canopy in candy striped red / white and brand new headliner in perforated off white vinyl as per factory specification. New upholstery throughout resplendent in red / off white vinyl with detailed fluting and piping. All upholstery carried out by specialist and well recognised VW trim shop ‘Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers’.
Rare and original ‘Dormatic’ Seats in the rear. These unusual and very rare seats were an original 1960s fitment from the Dormobile factory. There are 4 seats that opposite face which can be pulled down to create 2X single beds or pushed together to create a double.
Thousands of pounds worth of receipts / invoices, Photographic evidence of restoration & rare original Dormobile documentation included. It really does not get any better! Ticks every single box.. the ultimate VW Split Screen Camper Van!
Please note that we specialise in the build and installation of bespoke interiors to these vehicles so if you would like to modify or completely change the interior layout we would be delighted to discuss options with you. This can include custom joinery / cabinets, appliances of choice etc.