The UK Sports Cars Showroom
1964 VW Split Screen Camper Van. Factory German Built & UK Supplied in Right Hand Drive. Full Width Dormobile Pop Top Roof. Bare Metal Restoration Completed. Brand New Bespoke Interior.
One of the finest buses we have ever had the pleasure to offer for sale with the very best and most sought after specification. This bus was factory built in Germany on 21st February 1964 in Right Hand Drive format and supplied new to Ramsgate, UK shortly after in 1964. Both the original VIN plate and M Code plate are still intact on the vehicle and along with the elusive ‘birth certificate’ from the Stiftung Automuseum in Germany; this bus boasts 100% provenance and authenticity from new. These plates and valuable documents often go missing through the passage of time and to have them intact and complete with the bus aid even further to its increasing future value.
This bus has had a highly time consuming and no expense spared restoration carried out where the shell was literally stripped to its bare metal state so that absolutely any areas of rust identified could be cut out and replaced with new steel. All doors removed and stripped inside and out to allow for the very best paintjob. The bus was then carefully primed and painted in year correct Volkswagen colours, ‘Turkis & Blauweiss’. All of the original and intact items including the cab door frames, bumpers and original steel wheels were also stripped back and painted before being fitted back up. New seals and any other required components used at the same time.
The full width Dormobile pop-top roof was also stripped down, fully repainted and a new retro style green / white canopy installed representing pure 1960s fashion. ‘Dormobile’ used to originally convert these buses in the 1960s and still remain the most sought after pop-top roof available on the market. They are still going strong today which is a true testament to the quality of their product. When the roof is elevated sideways into the upright position, it makes for almost double the headroom whilst also allowing space for juniors to sleep ‘upstairs’ on the twin bunks which effectively makes this camper van a 4 berth model. An awning can easily be side mounted to increase the sleeping capacity even further. There are also many expensive and desirable features added to the bus including a tow bar and front opening safari windows in polished stainless.
There is a full photographic record of the restoration showing the various different stages and evidence of the quality of workmanship that has been carried out to the highest standard.
Mechanically, the bus has had its 1500cc engine reconditioned, which runs sweetly and pulls well throughout all the gears. The brakes are responsive and all other mechanical items have been regularly serviced and well maintained. The bus drives very well indeed.
As we specialise in the production of camping interiors, we have built and installed a brand new bespoke interior to compliment and finish off this bus to the highest specification. We have spent many years building interiors for these buses and believe to have perfected the layout giving the optimum use of space with little to no compromises. Interior specification as follows:
• High gloss laminate flooring called ‘Sonoma Oak’ with added support of 9mm under flooring.
• Full width Rusty Lee Rock n’ Roll bed in custom powder coated cream. This is a three-person rear seat that folds down to make a large and comfortable double bed. We have had these beds custom tailored for us to allow for our bespoke tables to be stowed cleverly behind the backrest. We have been working with Rusty Lee for many years and can say in confidence this is one of the finest split screen bus products available on the market today.
• Perforated off white vinyl custom headliner complete down to waistline section. This gives a cosy and intimate atmosphere when inside the bus.
• Original style door card set in basalt grey with deluxe chrome trim inserts.
• Brand new three-piece bed cushion set in 4’’ comfort foam upholstered in original style grey vinyl with fluted cream inserts and piping to match.
• Bespoke curved oak bed skirting board built to sit flush against the bed frame. We have built a custom compartment within this skirting board to house table leg when not in use.
• Hand crafted cabinet featuring 2/3 rear facing seating and a high top section to house appliances. Built using lightweight materials with oak veneered panels and a high gloss laminate worktop. Finished with period Devon edging trim and black insert giving a modern finish with a retro twist.
• Some storage space underneath the cabinet and also under the Rock n’ Roll Bed.
• Bespoke matching table in high gloss black laminate complete with Devon edging trim and insert made to exact size to be stowed behind bed frame.
• Waeco CRX50 Fridge Unit (Best available camping fridge on the market) running off 12V & 240V operation. Wired with automatic switch over. (MPS35). This has been neatly flush mounted into the main cabinet.
• Smev double burner unit on high top section of cabinet.
• 240V Mains Hookup installed. 1X 13A socket for fridge operation and a second Chrome 13A socket placed neatly in bed skirting board.
• 12V Leisure battery and split charge relay system so that both batteries charge whilst engine is running. Our split charge relay systems and made to order and of the highest quality. 12V USB socket inside vehicle on bed skirting board.
• Lap Belts front and rear. More can be added per request to suit your preference.
• Full curtain track set and curtains installed.
Please note that if any of the colours and choices are not suited to your personal preference, we can easily change items over so please do not hesitate to mention this if you are interested in purchasing this bus.
Comes freshly serviced with 12 months MOT, even though the vehicle no longer requires an MOT by law, for peace of mind.