The UK Sports Cars Showroom
1966 VW Split Screen Camper Van. Factory German Built. RHD. Walkthrough. Enormous Restoration and Gigantic Specification. Ultimate Specification. The best we have seen.
After the busiest start to the year on record with all of our current stock sold, we are pleased to finally be able to offer this beautiful bus to the market for Spring 2020. This bus is without a doubt one of the finest examples we have ever seen or driven.
This bus has undergone an enormous restoration with absolutely zero expense spared. The mechanical setup on this bus constitutes of the highest quality components in every department which will be detailed below. To purchase a shell, restore, build and finish a bus to this kind of specification you would easily be looking in the region of £100k, so this represents a unique opportunity for a big saving. Genuine German built bus, model year – 1966.
Stripped down and meticulously prepared for paint. Superb metal work with and all panels checked and prepared carefully before paint. Painted in Titian Red on the bottom half and Vanilla Cream on the top half for an iconic 1960s pastel coloured finish.
The absolutely ultimate mechanical setup consisting of:
- Red9 Design complete front end – For those who do not know, this is a revolutionary piece of engineering designed specifically for a Split Screen bus that includes disc brakes, coil over suspension and steering rack upgrade. This does away with the old fashioned steering box and brake drums making for considerably better ride quality and comfort. It is also far safer and up to date to tackle modern roads and traffic.
- IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) Gearbox and rear setup – Again, does away with the old fashioned style reduction boxes to allow the rear wheels to move up and down independently allowing for higher top end speeds, better suspension and far superior ride quality and comfort.
- 1641cc Twin Port Reconditioned Engine – The ultimate engine in our opinion providing plenty of power and comfort whilst retaining the original and correct air-cooled feel. Ideal for modern roads and traffic. 75amp alternator also installed to aid electrics.
As you would expect, the bus is absolutely superb to drive and performs as it should do in all departments. The interior of the bus is the real icing on the cake and where the spending spiralled out of control. This is the highest spec interior we have ever seen in many years of restoring and customising these buses.
- Full upholstery throughout in real leather (Not vinyl). This is an enormous extra that costs a fortune in material. Includes; Full door card set, front seats, bed cushions etc. all upholstered using coffee beige leather, with cream inserts (stitched in chequered pattern) and resplendent with Titian Red piping. Absolute luxury and incredibly comfortable wherever you look / touch.
- Mahogany Wood Rimmed Polished Stainless steering wheel, boss and horn push.
- Propex heating system ducted into main channels for heating throughout vehicle.
- ¾ Width Rock n’ Roll Bed complete with 4’’ foam upholstered as per above, the most comfortable bed I have ever known in a split screen bus.
- Main bespoke side cabinet featuring curved joinery and an incredibly slick and stylish design. Incorporates several doors, a bespoke curved cupboard, cutlery draw and hinged lifting worktops.
- Bespoke cargo door mounted drinks cabinet with glass panel, optics, bottle opener etc.
- Rear overhead cabinet with custom vented holes to house rear speakers.
- Bespoke table housed underneath in custom runners with bespoke leather retaining straps to match upholstery. Table complete with pedestal setup for indoor and outdoor use and also two different legs so it can be set at different heights.
- Bespoke walkthrough section cabinet built to house seat belts, drink holders, additional storage. Detachable and removable for ease of access.
- Beige 3-Point Inertia Safety harnesses (seat belts) retrofitted to front seats for additional safety.
- Passenger seat fitted with custom swivel bracket setup so it can face forward or backwards for when socialising / camping.
- Flush mounted Isotherm fridge with small freezer compartment. Matching laminate cover plate on exterior for neat matching finish.
- Smev double gas burner / sink combo unit.
- Advanced alternator display and diagnostics panel. Propex heating controls, 13a sockets, multiple USB points that are all mounted neatly together.
- Split Charge relay system & battery charging system.
- 240V Mains Hookup.
- Chequered red / white curtain set and ‘Buseyes’ front cover for windscreen privacy.
- Dynamat sound deadening used extensively throughout.
- Ambient lighting throughout including custom recessed LED lights in curved wood headliner with additional spot lights throughout. Low level lighting on base of cabinet also. Absolutely superb lighting system, the best we have seen.
- Chrome interior door handles throughout.
- Oil pressure & Temperature Gauges.
Overall, one of the best buses we have ever seen and one that we could keep and live with forever! Comes with 12 months MOT for peace of mind.