The UK Sports Cars Showroom
1966 VW Split Screen Camper Van. Pop Top Roof. Factory German Built. (UK Supplied Right Hand Drive Model). Fully Restored and completed January 2020. Brand New Build.
The best of the best! Fully restored and built to the highest and best selling specification by UK Sports Cars. Finally we are able to offer this spectacular bus to the market for the 2020 season which has been a challenge as we have been overwhelmed by the amount of sales and restorations that have been keeping us busier than ever!
This is a genuine factory German built bus that was supplied from new to the UK in Right Hand Drive format. This format is of course the most sought-after for classic VW Campers in the UK which is why we concentrate mainly on sourcing the best RHD shells to restore and sell. This is becoming increasingly more difficult as only around 10% of all Split Screens were supplied in RHD from factory and many haven’t made it through six decades.
This bus is a rare and exceptional example having spent many years in Spain being carefully garaged and looked after throughout its ownership. The underside of the bus is in superb order and only the best quality panels were used during restoration.
We have installed a brand new vertically lifting pop top roof to the bus that elevates with gas strut assistance for ease of use. There are zip up windows on the canvas to allow for additional light and by lifting the roof you almost double your headroom. This makes for a very spacious internal feel which is friendly for all of the occupants. Pop Top roofs are our most requested spec option and a main contributing factor to the most desirable specification for a Split Screen bus.
We have fully repainted the bus in year correct original colours; Sea Blue & Cumulus White. This is a tasteful choice as it retains the original look and feel of the exterior which is iconic globally.
We specialise in the build and installation of bespoke interiors in these buses, particularly on Split Screens. It has taken many years of trial and improvement using very careful thought and planning to now reach the stage where we have perfected what we believe to be the absolute ultimate and uncompromised layout for a Split Screen bus. Full specification listed below.
The Ultimate Mechanical Specification
This bus has had an enormous amount of time and money spent on it to bring the mechanical specification to what is considered to be the ‘ultimate spec’ for a split screen bus, enhancing all areas to allow for the optimum driving experience.
- Reconditioned 1641cc engine. ICT Twin Carburettors, bell crank accelerator linkage, alternator and full flow oil system with external oil filler. Absolutely superb engine ideal for modern traffic!
- IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) setup and gearbox at the rear. Uprated gearbox to allow for higher top end speed and quick shift Scat linkage for easier selection of gears.
- 5X112 Hubs at the front with Disc Brake Conversion for enhanced braking performance. Later rear hubs and brakes to add even further to performance.
- Adjustable front beam with ball joints for improved performance and stance
The interior on this bus is brand new and completely unused. We have built and installed this interior to the highest specification. Please note we are happy to make any changes to suit your preference. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions.
- Full Headliner custom made in factory style perforated off white vinyl trimmed neatly to the waistline where door cards meet. Includes rear corner cards trimmed to match.
- Fresh upholstery throughout in Mystic Grey / Vanilla Cream vinyl with fluted inserts and piping. This includes front seats, 3 piece bed cushion set, rear facing cushions and a 12 piece door card set.
- Best quality sound deadening used throughout.
- Grey High Gloss Laminate flooring finished with aluminium edging trim.
- Bespoke table in high gloss laminate with period style Devon edging trim and cream insert to give a retro / original feel complimenting the new interior well. Chrome pedestal base and leg for easy removal of table when not in use.
- Full width Rusty Lee Rock n’ Roll Bed. Custom welded to allow table to sit neatly behind frame when not in use and custom powder coated in cream resplendent with upholstery. These are the best beds ever!
- Original style 3 Point Front Seat belts in grey with chrome buckle & Wolfsburg Crest logo.
- Bespoke curved bed skirting board built to sit flush with bed frame complete with recess for table leg to sit in when not in use.
- Main bespoke cabinet built using light weight materials as not to compromise vehicle performance. High quality finish in oak veneer. Worktop in high gloss laminate with Devon edging trim and cream insert. Cabinet features 2/3 rear facing seat to allow four people to sit snugly around the table and 1/3 high top on far end to house appliances.
- Smev double gas burner unit.
- Waeco CRX50 Fridge Unit. MPS35 Adapter allows for fridge to operate on 12v or 240v operation with automatic switch over so you don’t even have to flick a switch! The absolute best camper van fridge available without any doubt.
- 240V Mains Hook-up. Polished chrome 13A socket in bed skirting board so you can power virtually any appliance when hooked up to mains.
- 12V Leisure Battery System. Highest quality made to order split charge relay kit allowing both batteries to be charged as vehicle is running.
- 12V Twin USB socket in bed skirting board.
- Curtains purposely left unfinished to allow new owner to decide as these are very much a personal preference. These can be discussed in detail.
Bus comes fully MOT’d even though no longer required by law on classic vehicles just for added peace of mind. We have almost 50 years experience in the classic car trade. Please call us today with any questions you may have about this bus or any one of our others.